Having an EEG is SAFE, EASY, & PAINLESS!!
An “EEG” (Electroencephalogram) is a test that records the electrical impulses and gives important information about the health and functioning of the brain. An EEG can help diagnose, monitor, or rule out medical problems. An EEG DOES NOT cure or treat any illness.
Why Is EEG Testing Done?
An EEG is used to detect problems in the electrical activity of the brain that may be associated with certain brain disorders. The measurements given by an EEG are used to confirm or rule out various conditions, including:
- Seizure disorders (such as epilepsy)
- Encephalitis (inflammation of the brain)
- Brain tumor
- Encephalopathy (disease that causes brain dysfunction)
- Memory problems
- Sleep disorders
Sample of EEG Recording
What You Can Expect
Your head will be measured and electrode locations marked. The technologist will scrub each location to remove any remaining oils and apply electrodes filled with a conductive paste keeping them in place for the recording. The application of leads will take at least 20-30 minutes.
The EEG RECORDING will take 30-45 minutes. You will need to be very still, quiet, relaxed, and follow instructions such as opening and closing of eyes, breathing rapidly and deeply for a few minutes. This may cause mild dizziness or tingling – a normal response. A flashing light may be placed in front of your closed eyes and will flash at different speeds several times. Avoid movement or muscle tension and talking.
Preparing for Your EEG Instruction:
- Before the day of the electroencephalogram (EEG) test, tell your doctor if you are taking any medicines. Your doctor may ask you to stop taking certain medicines (such as sedatives and tranquilizers, muscle relaxants, sleeping aids, or medicines used to treat seizures) before the test. These medicines can affect your brain’s usual electrical activity and cause abnormal test results.
- Please be sleep deprived no more than 4 hours of sleep.
- Please bring someone with you to drive you home afterward.
- Wash your hair thoroughly!!! The day of the test (your scalp must be clean & oil free).
- **NO makeup**
- Do not use conditioners, hair spray, or styling gels. NO HAIR PRODUCTS!!
- Hair must be COMPLETELY DRIED (DO NOT USE A BLOW DRYER). A blow dryer will give inaccurate results as it leaves electricity in your hair.
- Eat before being tested to help stabilize the blood sugar level. NO caffeine (tea, coffee, or soda).